SEO Through Algorithm
Today I was approached by someone in Naperville that swore they had found the secrets to all of Google’s Algorithm. I am not one to be so distrusting of people, but this statement is always a Red Flag that something is wrong. There are several reasons to never believe that anyone alive has completely solved Google’s constantly, changing Algorithm. It would also be safe to say, that anyone who eer could would not be working in a No Name SEO group in Naperville, Illinois.
Here are just a few reasons why no single individual can solve for this Massive Equation.
- It is a Massive Equation. The last best estimate assumes over 250 separate and distinguished parameters involved in the monstrous equation. It’s simply inconceivable that any lone person can at any time make the calculations needed to outsmart a constantly evolving AI.
- It is an AI. While there is a dedicated team of engineers who devote their entire careers to this Algorithm, Google Bot and the Database behind it is running more of itself than external control. With this scenario in place, there’s no way that any SEO expert, in Naperville or anywhere else in the world, could conceptualize every move this AI will move to next.
- While we know some of Basic Criteria that are factored into the ranking system of the Google Algorithm, SEO in any form is limited by the fact that some of it will always be a misnomer. Certain Criteria are known, but their weight can change on a very(and sometimes daily) basis.
- SEO for Google can be a daily event. Google’s Algorithm has been known to change variables more than once within the same day. While major updates usually happen every 1-3 months, the system is making constant small adjustments. It’s not feasible to collate that much data and determine ranking to the most finite detail.
There is some Good News though:
So far in this post, I have been bashing some guy in Naperville who thought he’d found the Holy Grail of SEO. While I seriously doubt that he thought before speaking, there’s hope for him to end up ok. We do know some of the basic building blocks that the Algorithm looks for.
- Domain– Domain naming and SEO through domain have a direct influence on what page you will come up if they match the specific keywords being searched for. This is the “No-Brainer” of SEO. Last week I noticed we did not have the number 1 slot in Google for the keyword “Naperville SEO“. The reason is that someone had set up a site with the matching url while I missed my chance to purchase it. In passing up this option, the Google Algorithm immediately launched them to the top slot. This will not complete the puzzle for him though. While simple changes such as Domain and Url manipulation can help with a giant and almost immediate boost, they have no chance without durable SEO work to back them up. I have no doubt that we will again take the first slot for the search terms “Naperville SEO” because he has done nothing more to improve the site.
- Linking- Inbound links from established and reputable sites is a necessity for anyone wishing to improve their site recognition, traffic, and if it matters to you, Page Rank. Page Rank is not exactly something I care about, but what it symbolizes is. The placement of quality links on informative sites will mean more traffic to your site. The Page Rank is just an added bonus that can only be seen in the rear view. Having links from high Page Rank sites will improve your ranking to an extent, but having many, many links from across many, many spectrum of the internet, will heighten the chances that visitors will find your site. Ultimately, why are your links out there? Do you wish to have a vanity trophy of Page Rank, or are you more concerned with building quality traffic and elevation in the SERPS?
- Content- If you aren’t giving quality time and effort to your written content, you are not going to receive the ranking you could from the search engines. There are many services now that will even write your content for you. Here in Naperville, and throughout the entire Chicago are, there are businesses of writers that do nothing but write content for Website SEO. This is becoming a highly specialized career field and is one of the few areas of job growth for good and thoughtful writers.
- Have Fun- If you are working your own SEO, have fun with it. If you’ve taken on the task of maintaining your own SEO, enjoy the experience. The good and the bad moments can be entertaining, but if it becomes a beast of burden, turn it over to someone that can take on the challenge. Ensure that they know what they are doing as well.
Those of us who build SEO for a living are usually willing to offer advice or point someone in the right direction if asked. As is, the one SEO “expert” that should not be trusted is the one who is unwilling to at least offer direction to those seeking it. We don’t give away the Keys to the Castle, but a SEO Engineer is usually willing to point the way. That being said. Here is a list of the top 25 SEO Blogs as defined by Daily Blog Tips.